• Listen LiveVOCM All Night Show12:00 AM - 6:00 AM
    Click Here 590 AM
  • 132-Year-Old Business Burns in Port au Port

    (Twitter: @WS_FrankGale)

    Another major blow for the Port au Port Peninsula region.

    The Abbott and Haliburton Home Building Centre in Port au Port West has been destroyed by fire.

    Sergeant Blake McBride of the Bay St. George RCMP says the call came in just after 5 this morning.

    The building was fully engulfed when crews arrived.

    The fire caused the temporary closure of Front Road and Main Road in Port au Port West, and knocked out power to the region. Sergeant McBride says there were no injuries, but the building was destroyed.

    He says the lower story of the two story building housed the building supply business, while the upstairs was a gift shop.

    It’s the second major business fire in the region in recent months. In January, the Building Depot in Stephenville was also destroyed by fire.

  • VOCM Cares

  • More News