Fifteen members of the Canadian Coast Guard Atlantic Region were recognized yesterday for their service over the past few decades.
Lieutenant Governor Judy Foote presented the Exemplary Service Medals and Bars at a ceremony yesterday afternoon at Government House in St. John’s.
Employees are chosen to receive the medal after having worked at least 20 years with the Coast Guard, serving in difficult or critical situations. Those who have worked over 30 years are eligible to receive the bar.
Canadian Coast Guard Commissioner Jeffery Hutchinson says it’s with pride that he congratulates each recipient.
Exemplary Service Medal Recipients
- Ernest Baker – Harbour Mill, NL, began his career in 1992 on the CCGS Sir John Franklin.
- Captain Windross Banton – Winterton, NL, began his career in 1986 on the CCGS John Cabot.
- Dennis Carter – Greenspond, Bonavista Bay, NL, joined the Coast Guard in 1991 on the CCGS Ann Harvey.
- Wilfred Emberley – Upper Island Cove, NL, began his career in 1990 with Coast Guard Central and Arctic Region on the Great Lakes.
- James LePrieur – Corner Brook, NL, began his career in 1990 on the CCGS Sir John Franklin.
- Captain Neil MacDonald – Gaultois, NL, began his career in 1996 with the CCGS Sir Humphrey Gilbert.
- Captain Roy Penney, who began his career in 1986 on the CCGS Cape Roger.
- Captain Elotus Sturge – Valleyfield, NL, began his career in 1995 on the CCGS Shamook.
- Captain Jerry Williams – Bay Bulls, NL, began his career in 1995 on the CCGS Cygnus.
Exemplary Service Medal and First Bar Recipients
- Captain Chris Boyd – Twillingate, NL, began his career in 1983 on the CCGS Grenfell.
- Edward Bridgeman – St. Brendan’s Island, NL, joined the CCGS Sir Humphrey Gilbert in 1985.
- Dale Collins – Placentia, NL, began his career in 1985 on the CCGS Leonard J. Cowley.
- Captain Chris Ropson, who began his career in 1985 on the CCGS Skidegate.
Exemplary First Bar Recipients
- Andrew Duke, retired in November, 2017, began his career in 1984 on the CCGS John Cabot.
- Derek Frye of Musgravetown, NL, retired in 2017, having worked with the Coast Guard since 1983.
Read the full bios of each recipient at at this link.