• Listen LiveWeekdays With Claudette Barnes11:30 AM - 1:00 PM
    Click Here 590 AM
  • Crews Make Quick Work of Monkstown Blaze

    Photo by Earl Noble

    Firefighters made quick work of a blaze on Monkstown Road early this morning.

    Crews were called to the area shortly after 7:30 a.m. Upon arrival, they found smoke coming from an exterior wall.

    St. John’s Regional Fire Department Platoon Chief, Rick DeHann, said the fire originated in a fireplace, and somehow spread into the wall of the home. Fire crews used chainsaws to cut a hole in the wall from the outside, exposing the fire and allowing them to quickly extinguish the flames. DeHann credits the larger studs used in the construction of the older home with preventing the spread of fire.

    The owner of the house was home at the time and was not injured, and will not be displaced by the fire.

    Photo by Earl Noble

  • VOCM Cares

  • More News