• Listen LiveVOCM All Night Show12:00 AM - 6:00 AM
    Click Here 590 AM
  • Fire at Robin Hood Bay Sends Three To Hospital

    Photo by Earl Noble

    It’s unknown at this time what caused a fire at the Robin Hood Bay landfill site late Tuesday afternoon.

    The St. John’s Regional Fire Department responded to what it believes was industrial waste that ignited. Platoon Chief Rick Mackey says the fire was in a section of the landfill where garbage trucks offload their trash, and not easily accessible by the public.

    He says when they arrived, there was an unknown substance burning. He says employees were trying to extinguish it, and suffered some minor inhalation.

    Mackey adds that the three employees were taken to hospital as a precaution because the substance was an irritant.

    The fire had been smothered, and not extinguished, and was being monitored by the department for hours after it was out.

  • VOCM Cares

  • Iceberg Alley

  • More News