• Listen LiveOpen Line with Paddy Daly9:00 AM - 11:30 AM
    Click Here 590 AM
  • Nunatsiavut Officials Report Progress in Methylmercury Meetings

    Officials with the Nunatsiavut Government are reporting some progress in meetings this week with provincial government officials on their concerns over methylmercury exposure from the Muskrat Falls reservoir site.

    Nunatsiavut President Johannes Lampe and Natural Resources Minister Darryl Shiwak met with Premier Dwight Ball, Environment Minister Perry Trimper and Natural Resources Minister Siobhan Coady on Monday to reiterate their concerns about the threat of methylmercury levels if the reservoir site is not properly cleared.

    While Premier Dwight Ball indicated that he would not force Nalcor to fully clear the reservoir prior to initial flooding, an area comprising 25 per cent of the overall reservoir, he did indicate government could examine the feasibility of fully clearing the remaining 75 per cent before it’s flooded sometime in 2019.

    The Premier also committed to further discussion on an Impact Management Agreement, the establishment of an Independent Expert Advisory Committee and granting Inuit joint decision-making authority over downstream environmental monitoring and management.

  • VOCM Cares

  • More News

  • vocm thousand dollar news tip