Ray Stacey has been found not guilty of second-degree murder in the stabbing death of 41-year old Clifford Comerford in January of last year.
The jury, which had been deliberating all weekend, returned with the verdict late this morning.
Stacey’s lawyer, Bob Buckingham, told reporters outside the courtroom that his client is upset over the death of Comerford and is pleased with the verdict.
He says Comerford’s death was not a good situation for anyone, including Stacey who spent a year and half in prison.
Buckingham says there is no recourse for the amount of time Stacey has already spent in jail and the focus now is getting Stacey back out there to become a productive member of society.
Buckingham says Stacey is eager to get back to working.
There’s no immediate word if the Crown will appeal the verdict. Crown prosecutor, Shawn Patten says while disappointed, they respect the jury’s efforts over the last five weeks, and accept the verdict.
Clifford Comerford’s family appeared to be shocked by the verdict and declined comment for the time being.
Ray Stacey has entered the courtroom. The verdict will soon be read. pic.twitter.com/xIjp7Lf6iK
— Fred Hutton (@Fred_Hutton) December 19, 2016